Sunday 30 October 2011

Common Redpoll at Thornton,at last.




One of three Common Redpoll caught with LESRE at Thornton today.



The COMRE had a much greyer colouration and the GC were much paler and not buff. Below I have included a LESRE for comparison.













The COMRE is on the left and the LESRE on the right. Note the buff tinge to the chest which contrasts with the white belly, whereas the COMRE has a white chest aswell as belly. Both these were first year birds. I also think that the head structure seems different. The LESRE seems more rounded.


At first I was concerned that perhaps I was looking at juv. LESRE, but I eventually got my eye in. I can see how it could be difficult with just one bird for comparison.













The bird below is very pale but it had a streaked rump and therefore is a COMRE and not an Arctic, so sorry Dave, but I shall keep trying!

My total for Redpoll at Thornton this autumn is now 131.




















No comments:

Post a Comment